Friday, November 13, 2015

How He Asked... My Engagement Story- Rocky Mountains- Colorado Engagement

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography

Ryan and I first met at a Bible study at a local church, but after meeting for the first time we didn’t see each other again until a few months later when a mutual friend had a going away party at their house. During the party I kept staring at this handsome man hoping that he wouldn’t catch me looking at him. As the party went on, somehow we got into a short conversation and were able to exchange names, but that was all we exchanged, until a few weeks later at another mutual friends going away party when Ryan came up to me and invited me to go rock climbing. After saying yes Ryan proceeded to ask me for my number and about a week later we went rock climbing with some of our friends. Not long after going rock climbing, Ryan and I went out on our first date where he left such a great impression on me. From his goofy personality during dinner, to the boldness he had throughout the night, and to him sharing where he was in his relationship with Christ, I knew I was definitely attracted to him and wanted to keep dating him.

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
About a month went by of growing our friendship deeper by hanging out with friends and going on dates, before Ryan asked me to officially be his girlfriend. As time went on we kept pursuing Christ together and serving one another in our day-to-day life. We kept creating memories together, getting to know each other, and of course falling in love with one another through going out on dates and sharing our lives with one another. Little did we know that almost a year had passed since Ryan had asked me to be his girlfriend.

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
As our one-year anniversary was approaching, Ryan and I had plane tickets to go out to Colorado for about a week to go visit one of my best friends and be a part of her wedding. Not only were we excited to take a trip together, and see my friend get married, but we were also excited to rock climb and go hiking in such a beautiful state. So the second day we were in Colorado we planned to go for a sunrise hike in the Estes Mountain at Rocky Mountain National Park. We got up that morning, got ready, and headed to Bear Lake where we got to witness the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen (see below). 

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
Not long after we got there and started hiking on the trail we decided to go sit down on a bench that overlooked the lake. As I was sitting there taking a photo, Ryan reached into his backpack and told me I needed to stand up and face him. (Excursus: When Ryan and I first started dating he would come over to my house and at times we would both end up doing the dishes. Well we both hated the cheap dish soap my mom would purchase from the Dollar Store because it would not get sudsy. So one evening Ryan came over to my house and brought with him three big bottle of Dawn dish soap. Soon after we acquired the three bottles, Ryan began to tell my mom and I that by the time the third bottle of Dawn dish soap was gone Ryan and I would be either engaged or married. At the time of this trip the third bottle was more than half way gone.) 

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
Now back to the story… So I stood up and turned to face Ryan and as I did that he got down on his right knee, held out an empty bottle of dawn dish soap and asked me if I would marry him! I stood there shocked, excited, and a little confused as to why I was holding an empty bottle of dish soap instead of a ring. Don’t get me wrong, I knew what the dish soap symbolized but I was still a little confused. “Did the ring not get shipped in time? Did it not make it on the airplane? Is it in the empty soap bottle?,” I thought to myself as I stood there staring at the man I would soon call my groom. 

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
Then Ryan reached into his bag while saying “don’t worry I have a ring,” and he pulled out the most beautiful ring I have ever laid eyes on. He then asked me again if I would marry him, this time holding the ring in his hand, and with tears of joy I muttered, “Of course I will!” I gave Ryan a hug and a kiss and then he slipped the ring on my finger. We then enjoyed the rest of the morning walking around and doing an engagement shoot with a local photographer, Aldabella Photography, that Ryan hired and had been planning with for about a month. This engagement was definitely way better than I had ever dreamed of and I couldn’t ask for a better person to spend the rest of my life with. 

Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography
Photo Credit: Aldabella Photography

Congratulations to Ryan & Jonetta on your Rocky Mountain-Colorado engagement!!  A love story so sweet!!

Wedding Wishes,
Marie 




No comments:

Post a Comment