Tuesday, December 1, 2015

How He Asked... My Engagement Story.. Ballast Point Park- Tampa, FL




Zachary always has surprises… from sushi to a day trip. You just never really know what kind of surprise you’re going to get. Friday night he said to me, “We have to wake up early tomorrow and were leaving at 8, 8:30 at the latest.” He gave me a 1/2 hour because he knows Im always late. I asked a million questions as usual, mostly about how I should prepare myself. Should I dress up and wear makeup? Am I gonna get wet? Should I be wearing a bathing suit? Is this a fancy event? What should I be wearing? Will it be dressy enough to wear wedges? Or is this more of a sandal event? Or is this a super active surprise? No answer, of course.
I woke up early the next morning and started getting ready. 8:30 rolls around and I still wasnt quite ready to go - but away we went. I finished getting ready on the way up.
Zach gave me the address to a Bob Evans in Tampa and the whole way up to I kept questioning why we were meeting up with some stranger in Tampa and fussing at my makeup in the tiny car mirror. As we were driving he got a phone call - I didnt pay it any mind. He said it was the guy we were meeting. “Were going to be meeting him somewhere else,” and he gave me a new address to put into the gps, “5300 Interbay Blvd, Tampa, FL. We finally arrive to a Ballast Point Park. I looked around and said Zach, Im really concerned about this guy that were meeting. Theres not many people in this park, and we dont even know who this is. How do you know this is not a weirdo thats gonna try and hurt us or take our money? Or worse take SUSHI (my car)?! He laughed at me and said Stop it, were gonna be fine. I just started praying. 
As I continue fidgeting with my eyelashes he says I think you can see the skyline from here but its hard to see with all the clouds. It was a rainy day, it rained the whole ride up. As were sitting there just waiting for this guy to get there, Zachary turns to me and asks The rain slowed down a little bit, do you want to walk to the end of the pier while were waiting for that him? Hes going to call when he gets here. I said Sure, that sounds fine to me.

As we walk towards the pier, a cold breeze makes me hold closer onto Zachs arm. As we walk down I try to cover my hair and face with my hoodie and shiver under the cool sprinkle. Before stepping onto the pier we stopped, Zach patiently waiting for me to take a picture of the the scenery, it looked beautiful- glimmering from the rain drops. There are only 2 other people on here, two middle-aged men fishing. As we walk to the end of the pier, the breeze picks up. Theres a pavilion up ahead to shelter us from the drizzling rain. As we stand there, I look out onto the horizon and I notice the Tampa skyline. Through the haze and light rain - I think to myself how much I love this weather, and cuddle into Zach. I looked up at him as he held me to keep me warm and asked So, what are we doing today? Are you finally going to tell me? Zach looks down at me and a mischievous smile creeps onto his face and he goes on to tell me that we were supposed to go on a hot air balloon ride today but the weather resulted in a change of his plans. But I know I dont want to wait any longer. Arlene, I love you so much, will you do me the honor
I watched him drop down to one knee and thinking this was Zachary being his usual jokester self I laughed and said Get up! What are you doing?! He stayed and continued ..of letting me take you as my wife? My laughter turned into a nervous laugh and I turned around to see if I was the only one seeing this craziness - What are you doing? he asked. I turned back to him and looked at the box that held a beautiful solitaire diamond ring and then up to his handsome face and said Is this for real?! He laughed Yes, this is for real! I pulled him up closer to me and I started to shake and said Babe. Stop. Is this for real?! Again he laughed and said Yes, what do you think?! Well? I looked at him and said Of course! And as I watched him put the ring on my finger, I just couldnt wait to hug him and kiss him and yet I felt like this was all a dream and I had to look into his eyes to see if I could interpret the reality of the situation.

As I continue to process the reality of the situation he wears the biggest smile and laughs at me, saying Babe, are you okay? Look at you! I cant help but giggle nervously as well but he laughs and it wears my nerves down. We make it back to the car and I keep looking at the ring that sits on my left hand I just keep thinking to myself Is this really for real life? I try to hide the fact that I just keep staring at this ring from Zach but hes watching me intentlyloving every moment of it because Im at a loss for words aside from Is this for real? and he just keeps giggling at me.



The rest of that day flies by, my family surprised me and met us at a restaurant along with Zacharys parents and sister. Im in a blur of shock, disbelief, and happiness. And in my head I find myself thinking Oh my God, thank you! Is this for real, though? over and over again but I know...this is definitely for real. 


...and it was "for real"!  Arlene & Zach tied the knot on November 7th, 2015 at a beautiful ceremony at First United Methodist Church, Punta Gorda!

Wishing you a lifetime of happiness,
Marie 


No comments:

Post a Comment